- Public Libraries as Community Service
for National Development. Joint Conference on the Role of Public Libraries
in National Development, Penang, Malaysia on 21-22 Oct. 1967.
- Mass Media and Citizenship Development. The
Seminar on Education for Civic Consciousness organised by the Malaysian Educators
Social Action Council at the University Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia on
7 April 1973.
- A Time of Opportunity and a Time for Action –
a Comment on Organised Consumer Response to the Current World Crisis. The
Second All India Consumer Conference, Bangalore, India on 15-18 December 1974.
- Open School for Consumers: the Case for Consumer
Education through Exhibitions. The inauguration of an exhibition held in conjunction
with the Second All India Conference, Bangalore, India on 15 December 1974.
- The Place of Public Health Insurance in
Malaysia – the Consumer Viewpoint. A Public Forum organised by the Malaysian
Medical Association in conjunction with its 15th Annual Meeting in Johore
Baru, Malaysia on 12 April 1975.
- Action for Change – an Agenda for Active
Citizenship. The Post-Graduate Medical Centre, General Hospital, Johore Baru,
Malaysia on 31 May 1975.
- The Cost of Living, the Cost of Survival:
Women as Consumers. A panel discussion at the International Women’s Year Tribune,
Mexico City on 30 June 1975.
- Food Legislation in Asia and the Consumer. Statement
at the Joint FAO/WHO Food Standards Regional Conference for Asia, Bangkok,
8-15 December 1975.
- Consumerism is for All People. At the
Lions Club of Hong Kong Harbour on 5 February 1976.
- The Roar Of A Tiger. Annual Speech Day of the King
Edward VII School, Taiping, Malaysia on 14th May 1976.
- Consumerism: the Developing Challenge.
The Mauritius National Consumer Congress at Port Louis, Mauritius on 28-29
- In Search of Social Justice: the Population/Food/Environment
Perspective. The 1976 General Conference of the International Council of Voluntary
Agencies (ICVA), at Leysin, Switzerland on 6-11 December 1976.
- How to Disseminate Consumer Knowledge
at School. The Consumer Education Seminar organised in Hong Kong by the Hong
Kong Consumer Council on 26 November 1977.
- A Charter for ASEAN Consumers. At the opening
of a Course on “Consumer Education through Radio” at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia,
on 2-26 January 1978.
- A Place In The Sun For All Malaysians.Annual
Speech Day of the Penang Free School, Penang Malaysia on October 21st, 1978.
- A Charter for Consumer Action at the opening
of the UNIDO/IOCU Seminar at Ankara, Turkey on 12 February 1979.
- Pharmaceuticals - the Consumer View.
A Press Conference on SMON (sub-acute myelo-optic neuropathy) a disease associated
with clioquinol at Geneva, Switzerland on 26 April 1980.
- Brave and Angry – the International Consumer
Movement’s Response to TNCs, October 1980
- Corruption and the Consumer. Presentation
at a seminar organised by ALIRAN at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on 2 November
- Launched! A Movement to Right Wrongs
with Right Products. Statement by Anwar Fazal at a press conference after
the International Seminar on Appropriate Products in Penang, Malaysia on 13
July 1982 .
- The Right Pharmaceuticals at the
Right Prices: Some Consumer Perspectives. UNCTAD, Geneva, Switzerland 7 September
- What the Consumer Movement is About.
The opening session of the Seminar on “Law, Justice and the Consumer” organised
by the Consumers Association of Penang at Penang, Malaysia on 19 November
- What the Consumer Movement is All About.
The Right Livelihood Foundation Award Presentation Ceremony at Stockholm,
Sweden on 2 December 1982.
- The Consumer Movement is Alive and Well -
Letter to Colston Warne. The 29th Annual Conference of the American Council
of Consumer Interests held in Kansas City, USA on 16-19 March 1983.
- International Consumer Actions in Health
and Safety. Opening session of the IOCU International Seminar on Health, Safety
and the Consumer at Ranzan, Japan on 6 April 1983.
- Consumer Education in the Pacific.
Address at the International Workshop on Consumer Education, Suva Fiji on
12 October 1983.
- Pharmaceuticals and Health Policies.
IOCU-ROAP Regional Workshop on Pharmaceuticals and Health Policies, at University
Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia, 22-25 Nov. 1983.
- Tobacco and the Consumer Movement. The Union
Internationale Contre Le Cancer/International Organization of Consumers Unions
(UICC/IOCU) Workshop on Smoking Control in Penang, Malaysia on 24 October
- CONSUMER VIEWPOINTS ON FOOD IRRADIATION.
Keynote Address at the ASEAN Workshop on Food Iradiation held in Bangkok Thailand
from the 25th - 28th November 1985
- We the Consumers. Keynote address at the
"Consumer Policy 2000" Seminar in conjunction with the 50th Anniversary of
the Consumers Unions of the United States of America at New York on 27 May
- Responsibilities and Regulations in Advertising:
a Consumer Viewpoint. The 15th Advertising Congress in Bangkok, Thailand on
the 7 July 1986 .
- Appropriate Infant Feeding Practices. IBFAN
Asia Conference 86 on “Protection and Promotion of Appropriate Infant Feeding
Practices” held in Thailand, 5-12 October 1986.
- People, Pests and Pesticides, Nordic Conference
on Environment and Development, Stockholm, Sweden 8-10 May 1987.
- The Enlightened Consumers: The Challenges For
The Church And The Community. Speech delivered at a dinner reception held
by Church-Based Consumers Movement (CBCM) in Quezon City, Philippines on the
15th of August 1988.
- The Citizen As Consumer - The 2nd Tun Hussein
Onn Memorial Lecture delivered in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on the 16th of October
- Quality and Value: A Library User Perspective.
Keynote Address at the Joint PPM/LAS Congress "Towards Achieving High
Performance Libraries - Vision for the future", Penang, Malaysia 1994.
- Urbanisation, Human Security and Survival.
The Second Leadership Seminar on Sustainable Urban Environment in Southeast
Asia at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 3-4 Oct. 1994.
- The Consumer Movement: Global Opportunities,
Universal Challenges. Address at the inauguration ceremony of the Indian Institute
of Consumer Studies, Bangalore, 15 March 1995.
- The United Nations and the New World Order. Public
Lecture organised by the Angkatan Zaman Mansang (AZAM) held in Kuching, Sarawak,
East Malaysia on 26 May 1995.
- Wise Use of Wetlands. Speech at the closing
ceremony of the International Conference on Wetlands and Development at Kuala
Lumpur, Malaysia on 13 October 1995.
- The Consumers of Asia and the Pacific:
Challenges and Prospects. 1995 SOCAP Annual Conference at Adelaide, Australia,
1-3 November 1995.
- Understanding the Culture and Psyche
of Consumers in Different Markets – an Asian perspective. 1995 SOCAP Annual
Conference at Adelaide, Australia on 3-5. November 1995.
- Food Security and Sustainable Human Development
– the Challenge for NGOs. Keynote address at the South East Asian NGO Conference
on Food Security and Fair Trade at Manila, Philippines on 13-16 February 1996.
- Urbanisation, Human Security and Survival:
the challenge for youth. Conference on “Youth and Urban Living” at Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia, April – 9-11, 1996.
- Local Democracy in Malaysia - Challenges
& Opportunities, 2nd United Nations Conference on Human Settlements (popularly
known as HABITAT 2) in Istanbul, Turkey in June 1996
- The Spirit of Community, the Solidarity
of Peace. The graduation ceremony of the International Institute for Infrastructure
and Environmental Engineering at Delft, Netherlands on 5 Sept. 1996.
- Cities at Risk – the Challenge for NGOs.
National Workshop on Disaster Mitigation organised by the Federation of Malaysian
Consumers Association (FOMCA) at Petaling Jaya, Malaysia on 13 October 1996.
- Transborder Migration and the Urban Crisis
Challenges of the 21st Century. Keynote address at the Regional Consultation
on “The Impact of Transboundary Migration on Urbanisation” at Bangkok, Thailand
on 13-15 December 1996.
- Agenda 21 – Civic Engagement and the Environmental
Challenge for Malaysia. The National NGO Forum on Environment at Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia on 8 March 1997.
- Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems.
Comments for the EOLSS Regional Workshop at Environment at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
on 18-20 March 1997.
- Faith and Nature. Southeast Asian Workshop
for Action on the “Ohito Declaration for Religions, Land and Conservation”
at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on16-18 June 1997.
- Sustaining Urban Partnership – the
Strategic Considerations and Opportunities Ahead. South-South Mayors’ Conference
on “Developing Solutions for Cities of the 20th Century” at Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia on 3-4 July 1997.
- Sustaining Malaysia’s Greatness. On Anwar
Fazal’s conferment of the Doctor of Law Degree by University Kebangsaan Malaysia
at Convocation Ceremony, Bangi, Malaysia on 13 July 1997.
- Towards a New “Air” Ethic. At the launch of
Wetland Wonders 1997/98 in Selangor, Malaysia on 20 September 1997.
- The Rights of Migrant Workers. Inaugural
International Day of Solidarity with Migrant Workers and their Families at
UNDP, Manila, Philippines, 18 December 1997.
- Quality in Health - the Consumers’ Perspective.
Presented at the 1998 National Conference on Quality in Health, organised
by the Malaysian Society for Quality in Health, Legend Hotel, Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia on 5-7 March 1998.
- The Sustainability of Asian Cities - Crisis and
Opportunity, INFRASTRUCTURE 98 conference in Penang, Malaysia held on 23-27
- Consumer and Food Security - the
Agenda for the Next Millennium at the International Conference on Food Security
organised by the Consumer International, Penang, Malaysia on 5-7 March 1999
- Moving Forward Together. Asia-Europe Conference,
at Shah Alam, Selangor Malaysia on 27 May 1999.
- Breastfeeding – Wisdom from the Past, Gold Standard
for the Future. Keynote Address at the 16th International Conference, La Leche
League International, Orlando, USA, 4 July 1999.
- The Citizen’s Agenda for the Next Millenium.
On Anwar Fazal’s conferment of the Honorary Doctorate in Philosophy at the
28th Convocation Ceremony of University Sains Malaysia, Penang on 14 August
- The Struggle for Local Democracy in Malaysia:
Challenges and Opportunities. National Convention of Citizens and Residents
Associations on Planning and Local Government Acts in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
on 19 December, 1999.
- EAROPH Congress, Asan City, Korea 11th - 13th
- Towards a Free and Fair Press in Malaysia.
The First Anniversary Dinner of Malaysiakini at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on
15 November 2000.
- Consumers in the New Millenium – Back
to Basics. Keynote address at the inaugural public lecture on World Consumer
Rights Day organised by FOMCA at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 15 March 2001.
- The Global Initiatives in Addressing
the Digital Divide. The INFOSOC 2001 Conference, organised by the Malaysian
National Information Council and the State Government, Penang, Malaysia held
in Penang, Malaysia on15 June 2001.
- Nurturing the Future – Challenges in
the 21st Century. Keynote address at the National Brazilian Breastfeeding
Conference at Salvadore, Bahia, Brazil on 23-26 July 2001.
- Creating The Future - Challenges for Youth
in the 21st Century. Address at the Seoul Women's University, Korea on 10
- Building the Culture of Integrity
the Spiritual Fundamentals. National Awards Ceremony of the Kuala Lumpur Society
of Transparency and Integrity in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in October 2001.
- Meeting the Challenges of Breastfeeding
in the 21st Century. Opening Address by Anwar Fazal, Chairperson of the World
Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) at Second WABA Global Forum - Nurturing
the Future: Challenges to Breastfeeding in the 21st Century, Arusha, Tanzaniaon
23 September 2002.
- Nurturing The Future – 21 Challenges
for the 21st Century: Moving Forward Together. Closing address by Anwar Fazal,
Chairperson,World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) at the Second WABA
Global Forum - Nurturing the Future: Challenges to Breastfeeding in the 21st
Century, at Arusha, Tanzania on 27 September 2002.
- Creating The Future - Challenges For The
Malaysian Civil Service. Address at the National Seminar on 'Modernising the
Public Service' held in conjunction with the 25th Anniversary of MAMPU (Malaysian
Administrative and Management Planning Unit), held at Putrajaya, Malaysia
on Monday 16th December 2002.
- Cities And Water - The Challenges Of Good
Water Governance In The 21st century, Global Water Forum, Osaka, Japan, 18
- The Governance of Water. Launching of the book
"Learning About Water" at the Caring Complex, Penang, Malaysia on
World Water Day, 22nd March 2003.
- The Road To Peace, 'Launching of Jalan Kedamaian'
(The Road to Peace) at the Peace Park, Taiping Lake Gardens, Taiping, Perak,
MALAYSIA on March 28th 2003
- Corruption & Its Impact On Nationhood
- The Challenge for Civil Society in Cultivating the Culture of Integrity.
Keynote Address at the 1st National Congress on Integrity, Sunway Convention
Centre, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia on 16 July 2005
- Universities And Universalities - Some
Healthy Challenges. Keynote Address at the Opening Ceremony of the International
Conference on Healthy Universities, at University Sains Malaysia Penang, Malaysia
on 21st November 2005
- Public Transport – The Good, The Bad,
The Ugly. Speech delivered at the launch of the book "Trams, Trolleybuses
and Railways - Municipal Transport History 1880s -1963" held at the Town
Hall, Penang, Malaysia on 23rd January 2006
- Creating The Future - Challenges For Civil
Society In The 21st Century. Speech delivered at the 10th Anniversary of the
Asian Resource Foundation in Bangkok, Thailand on 18th of February 2006
- Malaysia - A Model For Peace And Harmony.
Speech at the Opening Ceremony of the Gandhi, King, Ikeda - A Legacy of Peace
exhibition at the Bukit Tambun Culture Centre, Penang, Malaysia on 4th June
- BUILDING BRIDGES, CROSSING THEM - Preventing
Future Conflicts: Bridging the Divide between Nations through Interfaith Dialogue.
Speech delivered at the International Conference on Human Security held in
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia from 13 to 14 June 2006.
- CIVIL SOCIETY AND THE CULTURE OF INTEGRITY- Considering
the Voices of NGO's in Government Decision-making Processes. Speech presented
at the 1st OIC Anti-Corruption and Enhancing Integrity Forum 2006, held in
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia from 28 - 29th August 2006.
- Asian Cities - Challenges And Opportunities
- Building Partnerships For Good Governance
- Building The Culture Of Integrity
- Good Governance - Better Human Development
- The Governance and Management of Urban Communities
- Challenges for the 21st Century
- Building The Culture Of Integrity - The Spiritual
- International Governance: Government,
Ngos And The Citizenry - Their Synergistic Role In A Global Village
- Fighting the Twin Terrors - Peace By Peace
- Challenges to Human Security In The
- The Death And Life Of Asian Cities
- The Challenge of Good Governance
- The Future Of Cities